Train Track Safety Awareness
This course is the initial introduction to enable Rail Safety Workers (RSWs) to safely work in the Metro Trains Melbourne (MTM) Metropolitan Rail Network.
This course provides the RSW the knowledge and skills required to enter the rail corridor.
It includes taking appropriate safety precautions to:
- access the danger zone
- access the rail corridor
- respond appropriately in an emergency.
This course is for all new entrants to the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network.
This course is not suitable if participant already has completed the approved MTM Train Track Safety Awareness course (TTSA).
If the participant has previously completed the approved MTM Train Track Safety Awareness course, then an email should be sent to email@example.com to confirm next steps.
Credential awarded on completion
This course will give participants the knowledge and skills to:
- ensure their safety and the safety of others
- provide the knowledge and skills required to perform work safely in or near the rail corridor and danger zone
- identify hazards, risk and controls in relation to working in the rail corridor and danger zone
- understand safety critical communication when working and around the rail corridor
- understand terminology used in the rail corridor
- follow and understand policies and procedures in relation to working in the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network.
Metro Academy prerequisites
- Participant MUST be 18+ years of age
- Participant MUST comply with Local COVID Safe Plans
- Approved photo ID MUST be sighted on day of attendance.
- Metro Academy will verify that the participant does not hold TLIF0020 Safely access the rail corridor* against Rail Industry Worker (RIW) database.
- To prevent delay, participant’s ‘The Platform’ profile MUST contain current email address, contact number, RIW number and date of birth.
- Verifications will normally be completed by Metro Academy within two (2) business days, providing the participants RIW card is valid**
- * (Units of competency considered equivalent on www.training.gov.au are also accepted)
- ** Participant is unable to commence training until verifications have been completed by Metro Academy
Participants who successfully complete all requirements of this course will be awarded a Statement of Attainment (SoA) for the following nationally recognised unit of competency (UOC):
SoA will be issued via email within ten (10) business days.
A certificate of currency is also issued and is accepted on the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network and is valid for 24 months. This competency MUST be renewed before expiration.
RIW CERTIFICATE UPLOADS
Metro Academy will upload the participant’s certificate to the RIW database*.
To prevent delay, participant’s MUST ensure The Platform profile contains current email address, contact number, RIW number and date of birth.
Uploads will normally be completed by Metro Academy within two (2) business days of SoA being issued.
*Participant MUST have existing RIW profile on day of course
Cost: $330 (GST does not apply)
Duration: One day
Delivery mode: Face to face
Venue: Metro Academy
42–50 Bakehouse Road, Kensington, VIC 3031
Proof of identity requirements
Participants are required to produce a valid Identification document (ID) on the day of training. One of the following is considered a valid ID document, the document must contain a photo of the participant and be current.
- Australian or International Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Driver’s Learners Permit
- Boat Operator’s Licence
- Victorian Firearm Licence
- Licence to Perform High Risk Work
- Consumer Affairs Victoria Proof of Age card
- Other Australian Government issued ID card
- State, Territory or Federal Government Employee ID
- Keypass ID card or Tertiary Education Photo ID card
Personal protection equipment (PPE) requirements
Participants MUST bring the following items on the day of training:
- Steel capped, lace up boots with ankle support
- Orange Hi-Vis vest
- Full length trousers
- Eye protection
- Long sleeve shirt
- Hard hat
Participants cannot commence training without PPE